Joseph R. Aker
Joseph Aker’s practice is committed to working with clients with agricultural or other business-related issues, including family-owned businesses and business, estate, and tax planning problems. His practice also focuses on real estate, contract preparation and negotiation, probate, and general litigation matters.
Joe was born in Salina, Kansas and raised on the diversified 5th generation family farm just south of Abilene, Kansas. He attended Fort Hays State University, graduating with a B.S. in Agricultural Business and a B.S. in Agronomy in 2015. Joe then attended Washburn University School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctor in 2018. While in law school, Joe was the President of the Agricultural Law Society and received the highest grade awarded in his Farm & Ranch Taxation class. Joe interned with the Kansas Department of Agriculture and with Ag. & Business Legal Strategies of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Upon graduating from law school, Joe returned to his hometown of Abilene where he started his own law practice and rejoined the family’s farming operation. Joe joined the law firm of Hampton & Royce, L.C. in 2020.
Joe is active in his local community. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and St. Andrew Catholic Church in Abilene. Joseph is also an active sponsor of the Central Kansas Free Fair and Wild Bill Hickok Rodeo.
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 2018
- Fort Hays State University, 2015, B.S. Agricultural Business, B.S. Agronomy
- Kansas Bar
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas
- High-Tech Rednecks: Precision Ag. Technology and Potential Legal Issues
- Capital Gains and Understanding Basis
- Precision Farm Data Ownership Issues
- Kansas Fence Law Basics
- Land Lease Considerations – How to protect your tenancy
- Consumption of a Security Interest in Feed Fed to Livestock
- How a Sprayer’s log can be used in Roundup, Dicamba, or other litigation